Your browser does not currently support JavaScript.

If your are using Netscape 2 or later then you can enable JavaScript.

Version 2 or 3: Choose Options|Network Preferences, choose the Languages tab, click Enable Javascript and then click OK.

Version 4: Choose Edit|Preferences|Advanced, click Enable JavaScript and then click OK.

With Internet Explorer 5: Go to Tools Menu|Internet Options, Security Tab and click on the Custom Level. Then select disable active scripting under the scripting section.

Natural Resources Conservation Service

Last week, we sent a series of emails titled “Waldo Canyon Fire Recovery Assistance.”

In the spirit of keeping the community up-to-date about the ongoing restoration process, we'll now outline yet another way in which Federal funds have been made available towards the broader Waldo Canyon Fire recovery efforts.

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), formerly known as the Soil Conservation Service (SCS), is an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that provides technical assistance to farmers and other private landowners (greater than 5-acres).

After the Waldo Canyon Fire, the NRCS in Colorado received federal assistance through Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) funds to help treat and mitigate privately owned lands affected by the fire. The EWP is administered by the NRCS and was set up by Congress to respond to emergencies created by natural disasters. It is designed to reduce or eliminate imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms, and other natural occurrences.

All projects undertaken by the NRCS must be sponsored by a government entity, such as a city, county, general improvement district, or conservation district. The City of Colorado Springs is sponsoring NRCS supported work to be carried out on the Navigators and the Flying W Ranch as well as actions to address the severe erosion around a Colorado Springs Utilities water pipeline. NRCS will bear up to 75 percent of the construction cost of emergency measures. The remaining 25 percent cost-share must come from local sources and can be in the form of cash or in-kind services. Specific details on each of the sponsored projects are currently being determined.

It is not anticipated that any NRCS sponsored work would take place directly in the Mountain Shadows neighborhood.


Colorado Springs Together is an independent 501(c)(3) Non-Profit
Colorado Springs Together is a community-driven volunteer effort, and is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The team members are distinguished citizens and business professionals in the community facilitating and coordinating a quick and effective rebuilding process for the neighborhoods devastated on June 26th by the fire. The donations received will go towards the activities required to help restore the lives and the neighborhoods affected by the fire at the same time maintaining a strong sense of community during the rebuilding process.

Please visit: